Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
In 1936, At the January meeting of the Parent-Teacher Association of the high school, the interest of a town pubic library was discussed. The P.T.A. agreed to sponsor a "book gathering" asking residents of Van Horne and anyone else interested to donate books to be used to start the library. The town council gave permission to utilize one room of the town hall as a library room. The "book gathering" was actually very successful and the Dean Curtis Family owned a fairly extensive private library which was donated in its entirety. The Van Horne Public Library came in to being with approximately 300 volumes of various genres. The P.T.A. donated $11.50 which the library could use for anything they needed. The first 9 books purchased by the board only cost $11.74 all together. Through the years, multiple organizations have donated money and various equipment to the library.

 

The Van Horne Public Library began service at its current location in August, 1984 and is currently fundraising and working on layouts for the new library construction.